Hey you! Don't eat that, eat this!

Every year, around late September or early October, pumpkin season starts. When I was a kid, there wasn't much pumpkin flavored foods... pie and bread were really about it.
Then at some point a few years back, somebody realized that pumpkin is a flavor that can be used for all sorts of wacky treats! This blog is primarily about those pumpkin items.
Typically, if it's pumpkin flavored, I will try it. If it has pumpkin in the name, there is a strong chance I will try it. The weirder, the more fun.
In order for this to not be a September - December only blog, I'll also highlight other weird foods (typically prepackaged, mass produced stuff) as well. There will also be a healthy dose of beer reviews.
Wanna suggest something? EMAIL Fido!

Monday, October 24, 2011

Woodchuck Limited Batch Pumpkin Cider


You know, I had high hopes for this. Woodchuck, while it's still a totally American Cider company (i.e. way too sweet for me to get super excited about), generally produces pretty good stuff. So when I heard that they were producing a "pumpkin" cider, I think I started to drool.


I love my Belgian Style beers and my pumpkin ales, but my true passion is cider. I mlove the stuff. I've had all types of cider... British, French, American, Dry, Sweet, in-between, sparkling, practically apple juice... and it's my preference in most instances. I've long wondered if pumpkins could be successfully fermented, for a "true" pumpkin cider... I may have to try that in the lab someday.


At any rate, the Woodchuck Limited Reserve Pumpkin is not actually pumpkin. It is apple with what are supposed to be pumpkin flavored stuff added to it. I say "supposed to be" because I'm not sure what they added to this concoction, but I'm pretty sure it ain't pumpkin. As best as I could nail down, it tasted more like a sparkling cranberry drink although a friend of mine thought he tasted peaches. Whatever it tastes like, it doesn't taste like pumpkin.


Woodchuck supposedly limited production of this stuff to just 2 1/2 hours so it should be relatively rare. But don't feel disappointed if you don't find it. I do however enjoy the horrifically designed flourescent orange label...

No comments: