Hey you! Don't eat that, eat this!

Every year, around late September or early October, pumpkin season starts. When I was a kid, there wasn't much pumpkin flavored foods... pie and bread were really about it.
Then at some point a few years back, somebody realized that pumpkin is a flavor that can be used for all sorts of wacky treats! This blog is primarily about those pumpkin items.
Typically, if it's pumpkin flavored, I will try it. If it has pumpkin in the name, there is a strong chance I will try it. The weirder, the more fun.
In order for this to not be a September - December only blog, I'll also highlight other weird foods (typically prepackaged, mass produced stuff) as well. There will also be a healthy dose of beer reviews.
Wanna suggest something? EMAIL Fido!

Sunday, November 9, 2008

See's Pumpkin Pie Truffle



See's Candies makes these seasonal truffles. I bought them, of course, for the Pumpkin Pie Truffle. Unfortunately, it was a bit disappointing. At first bite, my first thought was that it was very similar to the Bissinger's. But then the spice took over and it seemed more like a chocolate and cinnamon truffle. The pumpkin part of the truffle doesn't come through. In fact, this one falls into the trap that many pumpkin treats fall into: lots of spice but little pumpkin. Pumpkin Pie isn't all spice so I fail to see why other pumpkin concoctions should be overwhelmed by the spices.

Oh well. I tried the apple pie truffle. It was pretty good. Really tasted like apple pie. Haven't tried the cranberry orange or pecan pie ones yet.

No comments: