Hey you! Don't eat that, eat this!

Every year, around late September or early October, pumpkin season starts. When I was a kid, there wasn't much pumpkin flavored foods... pie and bread were really about it.
Then at some point a few years back, somebody realized that pumpkin is a flavor that can be used for all sorts of wacky treats! This blog is primarily about those pumpkin items.
Typically, if it's pumpkin flavored, I will try it. If it has pumpkin in the name, there is a strong chance I will try it. The weirder, the more fun.
In order for this to not be a September - December only blog, I'll also highlight other weird foods (typically prepackaged, mass produced stuff) as well. There will also be a healthy dose of beer reviews.
Wanna suggest something? EMAIL Fido!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pinkberry Pumpkin Pie Yogurt



I remember back in the '80's when frozen yogurt was all the rage. There were fro-yo places everywhere, notably TCBY and I Can't Believe Yogurt or whatever.
For my family, we loved this place near the house called Yumi Yogurt. We went probably at least once a week for a while and even got to know the owner on a first name basis. That was some good stuff. Not far off from regular soft serve ice cream.
But, like most trends from the '80's (except those effing Dippin' Dots), yogurt fell out of fashion. Now there are only a few places left for fro-yo.
So, you can imagine my surprise when I find out that there is actually some new yogurt place in town. It's called Pinkberry and it's hip and hangs out in one of the fashionable retail areas in town. You know it is hip because the name sounds like a Rodeo Drive handbag and the employees treat you like somebody with class and not some schmuck that wants a cup of yogurt.
Anyway, Pinkberry has a Pumpkin Pie yogurt. It's been a looooooong time since I've had fro-yo, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I do know I wasn't expecting what I got.
Sure, you taste the pumpkin flavor, deep in it somewhere, but what you mostly taste is cold, tart yogurt... With a hint of something citrusy. Too be honest, it reminded me more of an Orange Push-up than anything pumpkin-y.
Hell, I LIKE yogurt, but that was just too much yogurt and not enough pumpkin flavor. I've had pumpkin pie flavored non-frozen yogurt and it was way better than this.
Most interesting part about the thing was I got the "whipped cream" topping. It was also made out of yogurt. So it was really fluffy tart yogurt.

No comments: